MCA-plus reverse camera input?

• Hi,

As always I'm sorry about writing in English instead of German. Not versed enough in your language.

In the trying to use another reverse camera with my MCA, but when camera is powered on it does not show the image on the MCA display.

I've tested the camera, it works. I got the camera with my Junsun android head unit (see image).

Could the camera be sending the wrong kind of signal? The fakra - rca connection is working correctly.

Does the MCA head unit require some other "trigger" to show the reverse camera image, except that the camera powers on and sends a video feed to the MCA? I thought it just displayed anything feeding into it when the camera is powered.

Big thanks for any help!

• I assume the camera has wrong video signal format: AHD (Analog HD),

Ford needs CVBS (NTSC).

Some camera models have the possibility to change the video signal format by cutting some extra cable loop.

Mondeo Turnier 2.0 FFV Titanium, Thunder, ACC, IVDC, Bi-Xenon, KeyFree+PowerStart, Alarmanlage, Solarreflect, PDC vorn u. hinten, TPMS, Sitzklima, Luftqualitätsmesser+kühlbares Handschuhfach, Sony-6CD, Bluetooth-FSE incl. S&C, Außenspiegel anklappbar, silberfarbene Dachreling, Notrad incl. Wagenheber

Selbsteinbau: Rückfahr- u. Front-Kamera mit 9" TFT-Monitor in der Sonnenblende, Ambiente-Beleuchtung in den Türgriffmulden, Rückstrahler an allen 4 Türen beleuchtet

Baumonat 10/2008

• I assume the camera has wrong video signal format: AHD (Analog HD),

Ford needs CVBS (NTSC).

Some camera models have the possibility to change the video signal format by cutting some extra cable loop.

Thanks for your reply!

According to specs it's CVBS (when cutting the extra cable) I've tried both with and without, no luck.

Good idea though👍

Edit:

Ah, crap. I think it's PAL. I guess that's why it isn't working then.

Edit2:

Or it might support both PAL and NTSC, I'm unsure...

• The video-ADC in the MCA can handle both encodings, PAL and NTSC (and some more).

"Lernen ist Erfahrung. Alles andere ist einfach nur Information."

Albert Einstein

• The video-ADC in the MCA can handle both encodings, PAL and NTSC (and some more).

Thanks!

Strange, then it probably should work. I'll continue my search for a solution.

Edit:

Also if anyone has the pinout for the connector on the original reverse camera (the square connector), I would be very happy. Haven't found that yet.

• Edit:

Also if anyone has the pinout for the connector on the original reverse camera (the square connector), I would be very happy. Haven't found that yet.

looking for that? https://mk4-wiki.denkdose.de/a…a/pinout_cam_pigtail_plug

• Why do you ask for the original CAM pinout? I assume that you connect your aftermarket cam direktly to the satnav Fakra?

"Lernen ist Erfahrung. Alles andere ist einfach nur Information."

Albert Einstein

• Why do you ask for the original CAM pinout? I assume that you connect your aftermarket cam direktly to the satnav Fakra?

I was going to try it on the bench but I soon realised that that wasn't possible. I read your other articles on the matter in the wiki.

I'm still trying to figure out why the aftermarket camera doesn't work when connected directly to the MCA unit. I'm thinking that the middle pin on the fakra connector is signal and the shielding is ground and shielding.

• If you direct connect your Camera to the MCA you also must connect the Reverse light signal to the camera + . Then the camera should switch on when you shift in Reverse.

Most aftermarket camera's that I know had to be connected like this.

Sorry my english writing is not the best.

• If you direct connect your Camera to the MCA you also must connect the Reverse light signal to the camera + . Then the camera should switch on when you shift in Reverse.

Most aftermarket camera's that I know had to be connected like this.

Sorry my english writing is not the best.

Yup, thanks for the info👍

I know I'm just trying it out on my kitchen table before starting the install in the car.

• I checked out the connections on my cam.

It have 2 cables. 1 with yellow chinch connector for video Singal and 1 with 2 small cables inside. red one for cam+ and black one for cam-.

It is also a aftermarket modell from china.

• Yeah, mine is something like that as well.

It's got a black (-), red (+), yellow(signal) and a white one that seems to be connected to ground, that you can cut to change video output. I've tried both with and without the white cable.

I hooked up the camera to another display I had laying around and that worked, just not sure why it isn't working in the MCA unit.

• I know I'm just trying it out on my kitchen table before starting the install in the car.

But how the MCA is getting the info about activated reverse gear on the kitchen table?

Mondeo Turnier 2.0 FFV Titanium, Thunder, ACC, IVDC, Bi-Xenon, KeyFree+PowerStart, Alarmanlage, Solarreflect, PDC vorn u. hinten, TPMS, Sitzklima, Luftqualitätsmesser+kühlbares Handschuhfach, Sony-6CD, Bluetooth-FSE incl. S&C, Außenspiegel anklappbar, silberfarbene Dachreling, Notrad incl. Wagenheber

Selbsteinbau: Rückfahr- u. Front-Kamera mit 9" TFT-Monitor in der Sonnenblende, Ambiente-Beleuchtung in den Türgriffmulden, Rückstrahler an allen 4 Türen beleuchtet

Baumonat 10/2008

• But how the MCA is getting the info about activated reverse gear on the kitchen table?

Supposedly the MCA unit should display the video input whenever this is present. Since there is no pin for on the unit to tell it to switch to reverse view like on all the Android aftermarket units for example.

• Supposedly the MCA unit should display the video input whenever this is present. Since there is no pin for on the unit to tell it to switch to reverse view like on all the Android aftermarket units for example.

Isn't the MCA getting the info about reverse gear activated via CAN I/F?

Baumonat 10/2008

• Isn't the MCA getting the info about reverse gear activated via CAN I/F?

Not that I know of but that would explain my issue. I haven't gotten a straight forward answer when I've asked earlier (not on this forum). Only guesses. Thanks for pointing this out👍

• I only know it for sure from Mondeo Mk5, that the reverse signal is transmitted to the Sync-Navi via CAN I/F. There is a feature do display signal from reverse cam still some seconds after the reverse was removed. (With video switch a front camera signal can be displayed then.)

W/o knowing about reverse active/deactivated this feature wouldn't work.

I assume it's the same with Mondeo MK4 MCA-Navi.

Baumonat 10/2008

• Might be, but the Sync is completely different unit. I'm hoping you're correct though.

I'm guessing only Go4IT can tell us definitively 🙂

• Might be, but the Sync is completely different unit. I'm hoping you're correct though.

I'm guessing only Go4IT can tell us definitively 🙂

I found it in Wiki:

https://mk4-wiki.denkdose.de/a…_zubehoerkamera_umruesten

It's the same with MCA:

"Zur Anzeige des Videobildes genügt dem Navi das einlegen des Rückwärtsganges, welches es über den CAN-Bus erkennt, sowie das anliegende Videosignal am Eingang."

Baumonat 10/2008

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!